Last week I was fortunate to be a delegate at the Curtin Ignition program, which is like a mini MBA for innovators.
I loved being back at university! Short courses have become more popular and I can see why – especially when it’s such a high quality one like Ignition is.
Here’s a few highlights from the six days:
- The selection of the Mentors, Speakers, Panellists and Facilitators was outstanding (since I’m a recruiter I pay close attention to who the talent is!).
- The cooperative, supportive and ‘get it done’ culture was excellent and made for a hugely positive learning experience.
- Opportunities to ask important questions about my business to experts and gain constructive feedback was invaluable.
- The fast paced and jam packed yet will timed presentations and program schedule was effective.
- A block of time to work on my business not in it was a luxury and so beneficial.
- Networking with people from diverse backgrounds – all with the same goal of commercialising their ideas or helping others to do so.
- Pitching! I’m an active member of Toastmasters to improve my public speaking skills, Ignition gave me the opportunity build on that. Delegates were called on to speak about their business several times through the week and the feedback was uniquely helpful. Also, watching other business owners pitch was useful.
- Learning by doing is my favourite way to gain skills. The lectures were practical and implementable right away.
I’m super appreciative to the many people who made the event such a success, in particular:
- A huge thank you to the City of Subiaco who awarded me a scholarship to attend.
- Lacey Filipich and Greg Riebe who spoke highly of the program and suggested I should apply – you were right!
- Mentoring from Charlie Gunningham and Vicky Hodgson.
- The Curtin team who put together the event: Danelle Cross, Subra Ananthram, Nicole Gaitan and Brittney O’Neill
- Clinician’s Tom Kooy and Ilana Borsje who dedicated 1:1 time and gave me great advice.
- Pitch panellists Robert Pierce, Rohan McDougall and Craig Ridley who listened attentively to my pitch and asked insightful questions.
- The brilliant speakers who shared their knowledge with us!